Tuesday, March 17, 2009

For you health care professionals out there...

So, I've started having weekly visits at the doctor. I went last Wednesday and again yesterday because I got to get another ultrasound (yep, that's four, ladies and gentlemen). Really, the reason for the ultrasound was to check how big Noah is and just to make sure he's under the ten pound mark. Thankfully, he is and will most likely be less than ten pounds on the day that he's born. Now, in case you're wondering about the title of this post...here it is.
For you health care professionals out there who deal with new mommies, PLEASE do us newbies a favor and don't exclaim how big my baby is every time you look at a piece of paper! It's terribly frightening. Not only am I nervous about the whole birthing process and coming out on the other side with Noah and I being healthy, now I get to worry about the "little" guy being the size of a ginormous watermelon instead of a normal-sized watermelon! It's unnerving! I mean, really, do you have to say how big he is?
From the very first receptionist to the last nurse and doctor, ALL of them exclaimed that I had a big baby. It's obvious that he's big; I wouldn't be having the ultrasound if he wasn't, and you can look at me and see he's bigger than your average baby. Even the janitors at school laugh when I tell them I've got another four weeks!
Back to the visit yesterday, the radiologist looked at me, pointed at Justin and had the "sense of humor" to tell me that the birth wouldn't hurt Justin at all! Really, cause I thought JUSTIN was going to push this thing out! Anyway, current size estimates put Noah at 6 pounds, 15 ounces and, if he grows the way he should, that will put him right at 9 pounds on delivery day. He's a healthy boy; we saw his heart, stomach, kidneys, his boy parts, spine, hands, feet and brain. It's really fun, in that light, to have so many ultrasounds because it's Justin's blog come to life!
Anyway, on a more sentimental note, I'm incredibly lucky to have Justin as a husband. He's truly been a servant the past couple of weeks. He always was, but he recognizes that I like my independence, too. In the past couple of weeks, we've been trying to figure out where we're going to put Noah since we're moving in July. Justin has been non-stop packing, moving, re-arranging, sorting and putting things together. In addition to that, I'm a little under the weather. Today I was out looking for cradle sheets (by the way, cradle manufacturers out there...make sure they sell sheets the same size as the cradle you're making) and I called Justin. He said, "Honey, why don't you come home and we'll figure this all out. You sound like you don't feel well and maybe a nap would help." Heck, yes, I've scored the husband of the century. I love you, babe.
More sentimental mush: having a baby is a huge deal, but getting to feel Noah move around is something that is AMAZING. It's hard to believe that in four short weeks I won't know every time he's got the hiccups or every time he gets the urge to kick something (hopefully it won't be my ribs any more). I know that's something I'll grieve, so please pray for me. He's an amazing baby and he's given me a textbook pregnancy (even though it's a large textbook) and I can't wait to meet him and see what life is like with him, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss knowing him this way. I love you, baby Noah.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're gonna be a wonderful Mommy, Rachel, and Justin's gonna be an awesome Dad. Now that's something WE can't wait to see!

Love you more than Easter Peeps!

Ashley said...

hey little momma! i'm so sorry those doctors are scaring you! what are they thinking?!?!? is it a man? probably because they have never pushed anything out of their body and have no idea what they are talking about!!!! your body was made for this by our gracious Father - he knows what he is doing.... :) reading about noah move inside of you made me miss feeling that with court. i really dreaded not being able to feel him inside me anymore. but, oh my goodness, there are so many amazing things once he is out, that will surpass that by leaps and bounds. motherhood is the most AMAZING gift from god. enjoy these last few weeks, even though you feel like you can't get any bigger, because god will keep that baby just the right size for you. drugs are an AMAZING thing, i promise!! that epidural will work wonders. while i didn't get to go thru the actual delivery part since we had to have an emergency c-section, i did get the joy of that epidural that made every pain go away! pretty soon you will be snuggling with a precious baby who will melt your heart every time you look at him, smell him, feed him, etc. it is the BEST thing! i am so excited for you and justin - you are about to enter into a whole new phase in your life and it is indescribable.

kelley80 said...

Rachel, it's time...time to toss a fit. Teach those people at the Drs office a lesson!--Next time they say the word "big", "large", "Miracle Grow", "Ginormous", "Ripley's Believe It or Not", " Guinness Book of World Records", etc....you get the drift, toss your hair back, slam your hands onto your hips and screech like a crazy spider monkey jacked up on Mountain Dew!! You go girl! Let them have it! Or...if that is too much drama for you at this time, drop onto the floor, curl up in a ball (if possible) and sob (maybe chant) crazy sayings like "I want my smurf reflector, I want my smurf reflector" over and over and over. Then ask them if anyone has a roll of aluminum foil you can make into a hat so you can protect your brain from the mother ship that you saw landing outside in the parking lot. Either way, I don't think anyone there will say the word big nor will they probably talk to you much at all from that point on. Of course, then you will have to explain to child services the day you take Noah home but hey....worry about that bridge when you get to it.

I vote the spider monkey jacked up on Mtn Dew with a Starbucks triple shot mocha chaser but it is strictly up to you.

Love,

Kelley

the thorntons said...

Rachel, you know I can't even fathom the being pregnant part of pregnancy, so to me you're a rock star! I know that God will not put your body or Noah's through anytheing it can't handle. He will be perfect! I agree with you--some "health care professionals" these days don't have the best bedside manner. I'm having a 2nd surgery on Wednesday, and I love when my nurse says, "You're worried about surgery? Just wait 'til you start PT...then you'll really know pain." I'm like, really? You think this makes me feel better?! UGH. Anyway, hang in there and enjoy knowing Noah this way these next 4 weeks. You're gonna do great! I can't wait to meet him.

dw hicks said...

Things are going to go wonderfully! No worries...my mom (same size as you) delivered 2 babies (me 9lbs 3oz, brother 10lbs 1oz) naturally (no meds!!) and she did it without any hiccups. You'll be great. And just ignore those people that tell you things. They're silly. I had someone ask me once (at 8 months prego w/ Mylie) if everything was okay with my baby because, to them, I looked like I was 4 months pregnant. I was horrified and then got worried. But look at sweet Mylie...she's perfect...every once in a while! :0)

Yes, enjoy these last few weeks with Noah. And just know that these kicks, movements, little moments of joy will be so much greater once you and Justin get to hold him in your arms...such precious times.

Hope you had a wonderful time at your shower. I would've been there if I could have! Can't wait to hear how things progress these next few weeks.

Hope said...

That is totally annoying. I hate it when doctors state the obvious. It makes me irate, actually.
Anyway, a lot of the time, those projected weights are way off. He could just come out a 7 pounder, you never know...