A quick update:
My school was cancelled all week, so we stayed with Justin's parents thorugh Tuesday night and made the long journey home in Justin's new truck (see below) to discover that our house still didn't have power. My school doesn't have power as of today, but we're slated to start school again on Monday.
Manly, huh?
We're blessed to have friends that live near the front of our development that let us come eat and hang out at their house since they got power on Sunday. Thanks to Melissa, Neal and Abbie for letting us invade!
Well, who would have thought that one could be SO HAPPY to have such a simple thing as electricity? Our power came back on at 8:00 pm last night, and I was so happy! I washed all the shelves in my fridge and went bee-bopping through the aisles of a far away Wal-Mart that is stocked with wonderful goodies, like milk, cheese, eggs and meat! I have to say that we're blessed beyond belief that our house is intact, but it's so nice to have power.
Other than that, I caught a few pictures of some of the weird things that happen during a hurricane. Here are three for your viewing pleasure.
1) I don't know if you can see it very well, but that Outback sign is precariously perched on it's original stand. The Outback was open, and there were people standing below this sign!!! I couldn't believe it. I would have been so nervous!
2) It's far in the background (although that sign is supposed to have something in it), but you can see that four sections of Reliant Stadium were ripped off the top of this monstrosity. What else is there to say? It's just plain weird!

3) Finally, this is on our street. Our fence is leaning a little bit, but these people certainly took the brunt of the fence destruction.
Our neigborhood has a lot of trees down, but most of us got power at the same time last night. There is a lot of fixing up that has to take place, but many people didn't have to go to work this week and have been home, fixing up and camping out. Overall, I praise God that we're safe, that our house has no damage and that He's provided wonderful weather to make this week so much more than tolerable. It's been fun to see how people come through times like this, and we've definitely seen the best in so many of our friends!
Philippians 4:19 states: "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. " We have definitely seen God abundantly supplying our needs, and even giving us our desires. Praise God for His mercy and His lavish love.
7 comments:
God is so good!! Your Dad just told me today about your expected April delivery. Congratulations to both of you and that little lima bean is so lucky to have you two. Of course your Dad was "on my list" but then I forgave him because knowing your going to be a Grandpa can really mess with your mind(hehe).
So glad to also hear that you survived "Ike" with such little damage. Now you have power, Justin gets a new truck, and you and little lima bean are doing good so life is good!!
Love y'all,
Nice wheels, Justin! Welcome to the world of trucks. (You know, Rachel, this is a slippery slope -- next thing you know, Justin will want a chain saw. One thing leads to another. Before you know it, Beanie will be wearing camo onesies and you'll be married to a redneck. Trust me on this. I've been there.) love, auntie kris
We were thankful that we got to spend a little time with you. I am also glad that Justin got a new truck. Cavaliers are nice, but they are so small when you are driving in a big city!!!
It was great to see Janice and David, too. We look forward to our next visit.
Thankful, too that you have power!
Kay
WOW...cool truck. Can't wait to see how it looks with pink Hello Kitty baby sunshades in the windows!!
Love,
Kelley
So glad to hear that you have power again and that you had no major damage. Justin, I really love the new truck!
Love to you both,
Delo
I like the truk, too! In Texas, as in Kansas, the spelling of the vehicle type is very important, as is the pronounciation - "truuuuk" is the preferred way to say it, I believe.
I liked what your Auntie Kris said, too...beware all of you. I also happen to know that your Mom is sewing some fancy-schmancy ruffled stuff for the truuuuk, too.
Can't wait to see you all again!
Love you LOTS and LOTS...take care of that Bean!
Dad
Love that new truck... Glad that your house faired well and hopefully you were able to enjoy the time off. We miss you guys and hope to see you soon!!
Post a Comment