Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Goodbye Houston

Although Justin has yet to sign a contract, I wanted to let you all know that in July of 2009 we will be leaving Houston. Justin made a very difficult decision (I don't envy him, but I am SO proud of him) to let someone else take over for him as Chief Resident next year and take a position as a pediatrician in Abilene, Texas.

For those of you who have never left Houston (or Dallas), Abilene is in West Texas, about halfway between Lubbock and Fort Worth. There are no floods there, and there are lots of horses and wide open spaces for us to grow in to.

Abilene is where I went to college, about 30 minutes from where Justin grew up and where we fell in love. As a matter of fact, we got engaged at the Starbucks (yep, there was just one there at that time) in Abilene. Abilene is a smaller town, but there are lots of little bitty towns all around, so the doctors in Abilene serve quite an area with lots of great kids that need great doctors, which I'm happy to provide! So, after delievering a baby in April, I'll pack up our house and move in to a new house with a great nursery (thanks to my mom, who has some great ideas already).

Feel free to leave us posts if you have any questions, call or email us. We'd love to hear from you guys. This is a pretty big change, but I can't wait to finally settle down and dig deep roots in to the soil that will grow our future and our family.

On another note, I go back to the doctor for a routine check up on October 24, and then we're supposed to find out the gender of the baby on November 4. I'm voting for a boy! Get it... November 4 is election day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting days and weeks are just ahead of you guys!!!! Can't wait for November 4th...can I keep calling him / her "Bean" though? I'm growing rather attached to that term of endearment. When you have kid #2, #3, etc. I think I'll just go ahead and call them "Bean 1," "Bean 2," "Bean 3," etc. Sound OK to you????

We're keeping Justin and you and Bean in our prayers as you prepare for Abilene, too. Lots of lucky kids to have such a great man for their doctor!!!!1 We're really proud of Justin, and admire both of your sense of courage and adventure in making this decision & anticipated move!

Love you, all 3, bunches!!!

Grandpa & Granny D.

kelley80 said...

Okay, this has nothing to do with this post but really Rachel...NKOTB? I looked it up, in Kansas, Bill #8724bn63C, statute 27K18B, amendment 317a, paragraph 2718c, states if a mother inflicts, unwanted NKOTB on a fetus while committing a felony by attending their concert, the punishment for the acts against the fetus would be held to the utmost severity of the law. Twenty-four states already have laws protecting unborn children from violent crimes of making the fetus listen to/attend NKOTB and would allow prosecutors to bring felony charges in cases of this type of violence, even if the child later appears to grow up to be normal after this type of injustice. In some states, however, the law is inconsistent, allowing for a prosecution of the father if he willingly permits the mother to impose NKOTB to the unborn child.

Really? Is Texas not included in those 24 states??

dw hicks said...

Love Abilene! What a great place. I'm sure a little part of you will miss the cul-de-sac in Sienna, as we do, but Abilene will be a great little/big town to raise your babies.

I saw DeAndria this weekend and she said she saw y'all at the game. Sorry I didn't get to stop by. We walked over, but didn't look like y'all were home. Hope to run into you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

Yippee!!!! I can hardly wait! I know we are going to have a grand time! I have already put in an order for a port a crib and a carseat! I think I might need them sometime!
Love,
MeMaw

Anonymous said...

I am going to miss you so much! I can't believe you will be leaving so soon! You better let us all know what the baby is when you find out...I mean I am more excited about that than the election!! =)
(I'm voting for a boy too!)

Anonymous said...

I am sad that you will not be moving back to Dallas but I am excited for both of you. It sounds like a great opportunity for Justin and a way to be closer to both sides of your family.
I vote boy - because it sounds like that is what you are looking forward to having!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

ummm... so your coworker wishes you not to leave... I know that is where you are supposed to be, but I still don't want it to happen.